Friday, February 27, 2009

Parking in the City


Anyone who has ever driven into Toronto knows it is a very expensive place to park. And with the constant development of Condos, there are fewer and fewer parking spots available. Any first year economics student can tell you that as the available spaces decrease the price of the remaining spots will increase.


These facts have prompted me to do something I quite dislike. As of today, I am helping someone get something for nothing. I work near a subdivision and a lot of the residents rent out their driveways during the day. For the longest time I said I didn't want pay for the use of someone's driveway because I know they are getting the money 'under the table'; they are surely not reporting it as income and are therefore getting tax-free money. It is quite possible that my dislike of this practice stems from the belief that I cannot profit from it.


I have come to realize that although I dislike giving someone tax-free money, I can profit from doing so. Today I have started parking in a driveway about 3 blocks from the office and instead of paying $220.00 a month for the pay-by-day parking outside the office, I am now paying $95 a month for the driveway.


The one downfall about it just might be that it is right next to a Tim Horton's. I have already bought my first coffee there and it is just the first day!

1 comment:

The Shuster said...

So much for the discounted price on parking.